Ukrainian journalist Sushchenko pleads not guilty to espionage
MOSCOW, March 27 (RAPSI) - Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko pleaded not guilty to espionage during a hearing in the Moscow City Court on Tuesday, his attorney Mark Feygin told RAPSI.
Trial of Sushchenko will continue on March 28, the lawyer said.
In November 2017, Feygin wrote on his Twitter account that investigation into Sushchenko had been completed.
According to Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB), the Ukrainian citizen has "purposively collected classified information about the Armed Forces and National Guard of Russia." Leak of data abroad could cause damage to the national defense capability, the FSB officials claimed earlier.
Charges were brought against Sushchenko in October 2016. He could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.
Ukrinform news agency earlier confirmed that Sushchenko had been acting as its reporter since 2002. Since 2010, he has been working as Ukrinform’s personal correspondent in France. According to the agency, Sushchenko arrived in Moscow on private business during his vacation and was arrested immediately upon his arrival.
Ukrinform repelled accusations against Sushchenko calling him "a journalist with years of unblemished professional reputation.